Monday, June 16, 2008

Newsflash: Stealing Isn't Cool!


I arrived at St. Mark this morning to find out that we were broken into last night. Some punks smashed one of the windows at the church and proceeded to run off with a TV, video camera, brand spankin' new iMac computer, and the church safe--which luckily was almost completely empty at the time of the break-in. The whole situation left me pondering some things about life...

What possesses someone to take something that's not theirs? How can someone who steals feel like anything less than a complete and utterly pathetic fraud when they make a living off taking things that aren't theirs from other people. And maybe the biggest question of all: WHO STEALS FROM A CHURCH?!?!?

Seriously...

When I was in India, I had $100 stolen out of my wallet. I almost didn't even care about the money (whoever took it most likely needed it more than me), but it left a hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach...I felt used and defrauded. That same feeling crept into my stomach today as I walked around the church making a list of all the stolen items. There aren't a whole lot of things in life that I can say I really hate, but stealing is certainly one of those things...

No comments: