Thursday, August 21, 2008

Impact Your World/How to Save a Life/There Must Be a God


IMPACT YOUR WORLD

This past Sunday night in our high school ministry, Seth and I decided to take a big risk. Sunday night was our fall kickoff, and in years past we had set the precedent that the fall kickoff would involve lots of food, lots of games, and lots of fun. We knew that was what our students would be expecting once again this year, but we had a little different vision of what God might have in store for our kickoff this time around. We wanted to set a significantly different tone for this school year, and that is where the risk comes in.

What we attempted Sunday night we simply called Impact Your World. The instructions were simple, the possibilities endless. The students broke down into small groups, and each group was given one $20 bill. They were then told, "Go, and impact your world!" 

Some groups went and bought flowers and gave them to people who looked like they were having a tough day. A worker at Wal-Mart was brought to tears when she received the flowers from our students. Some students went to Chuck-E-Cheese, bought arcade tokens, and handed them out to kids (I know...kinda cool and kinda creepy all at the same time!). Another group found a stranger on the side of the road with a dead car battery and jumped it for him. Others handed out balloons, while another group ordered water at a restaurant and then left a big tip with an encouraging note for the waitress.

The following is the story of what God did with my group.

HOW TO SAVE A LIFE

I jumped in with a group of three guys: Matt, the tough-guy Jimtown football player; Brad, the Penn fine arts standout; and Gabe, an unbeliever and first-time church visitor invited by Brad. As our group was deciding how to impact our world, Gabe was the first to speak up...

I think we should go to Hacienda, order water, eat some chips and salsa, and then leave a $20 tip.

Not a bad idea, but I didn't like the thought of us gaining something from our giving (ie. enjoying some chips and salsa from Hacienda). So I encouraged the guys to keep thinking. Matt was in my Impact Group this past year, and he remembered a time when we had gone as a group to the Homeless Shelter in South Bend and handed out food. He suggested that we head back into South Bend, buy some food with the $20, and hand it out. So we jumped into my beat up '98 Camry and took off for South Bend.

I remembered that there was a McDonald's just south of the Homeless Shelter on Michigan St., so we made that our first stop. We went through the drive-thru and ordered 19 sandwiches. The order was large enough that the drive-thru attendant asked us to pull around in front of the restaurant, and she would have someone come out to our car with the sandwiches. As we waited, a man came stumbling out of McDonald's. He looked like a mess, like he hadn't showered in a month. Dirty clothes, disheveled hair, an open and bloody wound on his hand, and a look of desperation.

Help me, man! Can you help me? I'm really messed up, man, he said.

I asked him what he needed. I asked him if he was hungry.

Yeah, man. I'm hungry. I haven't eaten in a long time, man. I'm really messed up. I lost my job, I can't get home...I need help. Can you help me, man?

I asked the guys what they wanted to do, and Matt spoke up right away. 

Let's at least give him a ride home.

The sandwiches showed up about then, and this man we soon came to know as Marcus climbed into my car, his bloody hand wiping up against the dash of the car. After refusing a sandwich more than once, we finally convinced him that we wanted to give them away, and that in fact that was what we had come to do that night. He gratefully accepted two sandwiches and began chowing down. Our conversation continued... 

Why you help me, man? he asked. I'm black, you white. We ain't prejudiced, man?

No, Marcus, we're cool, man, I told him. It was as if he couldn't understand our kindness. I couldn't help but wonder how many white people had treated him unkindly in his life.

I asked Marcus if he knew of anybody else who might need a sandwich. He assured us that he knew of a small community that would appreciate the remaining 17 sandwiches. So I drove as Marcus directed us to the ghetto of all ghettos, a run-down government-subsidized apartment complex on the west side. The security guard there didn't want to let us in, but we gave him the sandwiches to pass out to some of Marcus' friends there.

We continued on our journey to the east side of South Bend. Marcus actually lives on 29th St. in River Park, merely four streets away from the house I just bought in the same neighborhood. As we were taking him home, I asked him about his family. He confessed that he is an alcoholic, and that that had cost him his job and his family. He was currently living with his ex-wife's sister's family. He was almost constantly on the verge of tears as we drove, telling the high school guys that he loved them and that we were such a blessing. Angels, he called us.

He told us about the poverty that he was living in, that basic necessities of life such as food were scarce. So we stopped at a store on the way back to his house and got him some groceries. He said they needed meat and bread. When we had purchased that, he got a little more bold.

What about some ice cream...and some candy for the kids?

Sure, Marcus. 

Every man has the right to a bowl of ice cream from time to time, right?

After some quick comic relief in which Marcus called out a preppie white kid in a Jeep with his cool shades and spiky hair for listening to rap music that Marcus found offensive as a black man and which the kid didn't know nothin' 'bout, we loaded up the few bags of groceries and continued heading toward 29th St.

We pulled up in front of an old dilapidated house, and although we were already late in getting back to the church, we sat and listened as Marcus began to share...

My life's a mess. I need to change, man. I've lost everything. I've gotta change.

I laid my hands on Marcus and began to pray for him. I prayed that God would make him the man that he's called to be. I prayed for victory and freedom from alcoholism. I prayed for change.

As I finished praying, Marcus began to get choked up. He looked at me, tears in his eyes...

I made up my mind, man. Tonight...I was gonna jump off the bridge. I was gonna take my life. I had nothing to live for. You guys are a blessing. You guys gave me a second chance. You guys saved my life.

As Marcus stumbled out of the car, the groceries clearly too much for his small frame to handle, the four of us guys sat in stunned silence. Nearly the entire drive back to the church we sat like that, no one saying a word. Finally, as we were all processing the gravity of what God had done through us that night, Gabe, the non-Christian first-time visitor, spoke up.

I think that was a little better than eating chips and salsa at Hacienda.

The tension in the car released as we let out a collective laugh, realizing what we might have missed if we had chosen differently that night. Everyone, Gabe included, recognized that God had graced us with His presence that night.

THERE MUST BE A GOD

Believe it or not, the story doesn't stop there. Brad had been trying for over a year to get Gabe to come to youth group with him. When they got back to Brad's house, Gabe asked if he could start coming to church with Brad. Gabe's response to all that he had seen and heard that night...

There must be a God!

That's right, Gabe. There is a God, and He is good. And He is still in the business of doing miracles. He is still in the business of transforming lives.

Gabe's life...changed.

Brad's life...changed.

Matt's life...changed.

My life...changed.

Marcus' life...CHANGED!

And all God's people said...Amen.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our God is an awesome God who works through anyone willing to listen to and obey His promptings. Praise God for the impact He had on those lives that night because you were sensitive to His Spirit!

Phil Strahm said...

Beautiful

Kara Szyarto said...

awesome story... definitely a glimpse of what the Kingdom is all about. it's awesome to see God working through your ministry, Adam :) keep doing whatever it is that you're doing, because obviously God is using it. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

So encouraging Adam. Thanks for sharing. Hope things are going well.

eric signs said...

God is real,indeed!

paraguayalyssa said...

Awesome. Thanks for sharing, Adam. Your story makes me excited to come home and live out my Christian life in Northern Indiana. And way to go on the decision to set that new tone for this year. That was certainly a risky step, but you guys knew your Shepherd's voice. I bet these guys won't be quite as quick to equate depth with boredom :)

Anonymous said...

Amen, amen, and amen!!!!

Andrew said...

Great stuff man. Did I ever tell you that you are my white version of LeBron James? I just think he reminds me of you. So sue me.

Britney said...

Thanks for sharing this story again. I still tear up when I hear this story... and I must have heard it 3 or 4 times at this point. I am SOOOO excited about the direction our youth ministry is going. I think this year is going to be amazing. I'm excited to see what God has in store. :)

Elizabeth said...

Tears in my eyes Adam. God is certainly moving in your ministry! We are blessed to have you working with the youth.
Elizabeth Wyly

Tait said...

Great story. Way to be bold and do something to directly impact the kingdom!

I have one question: Was the Good News ever clearly explained to either Marcus or Gabe? I mean, I'm all about 'walking before talking' and 'earning the right to be heard', but it sounded like they saw the walk and you earned the right.. but there isn't any mention in the story of telling the Good News. Something like, "Guess what, Marcus. The Bible says that you are enslaved to sin and have no way to change by your own will. But, Jesus came and died to take your sin and make you free from it!" or "Yeah, Gabe, there is a God and He loves you. He sacrificed way more than $20 for you- He gave His life so that you could know Him."

Okay, I recognize that those things are much easier to say after the fact, but I've been noticing that most Christians are gunshy on presenting the Good News even when the opportunity is right because we're afraid people will think we're 'shoving it in their face.'

Adam Cramer said...

Part-Time Photobloggers,

Thanks so much for your comment. I find myself in agreement with most everything you said. I do agree that Christians are often gunshy--and sometimes even downright cowards--when it comes to clearly presenting the Gospel. More often than not, when I hear Christians using those phrases like "walking before talking" or "witnessing by example" or "earning the right to be heard," I view it as a copout. I can be pretty cynical in that regard, but I think there's a lot of truth behind that cynicism. We as Christians often times lack boldness, forgetting that we have been given "a spirit of power" (2 Tim. 1:7). I think we are in full agreement on that issue.

My only critique of your questioning is that I think it might take into account a bit too much the strength of man, pushing the Spirit into the role of a secondary character in a story where He is the star. If I was able to personally save these two individuals, then clearly it was downright irresponsible and unloving of me not to do so. However, apart from the Spirit, I can do nothing.

I want to be sure that you understand that I recognize my own human nature, and it is quite possible that on this very occasion, because of my fallen human state, I might have blatantly missed out on an opportunity to draw one or two more brothers into God's Kingdom. That is more than possible. At the same time, as I look back on what happened that night, I recognize the thick, almost tangible sense of the Spirit that guided each step we took, and I walked away from that night grateful and humbled that God had chosen to use me. I was left with a sense that I had walked in the Spirit and fully obeyed His promptings. What a subjective answer, right?...and an often abused response as well..."God told me this" or "God told me that." But, yet, that is what I experienced that night.

The last thing I'd like to share with you (and others) is that this story is yet to have an ending. What would really be irresponsible and unloving of me would be to not follow up with these guys. As a youth pastor at the church, I hope to have many more encounters with Gabe in which I can speak truth into His life and by the Spirit draw him closer to Christ. As far as Marcus goes, I know that many are still praying for him, and I personally have been attempting to get back in touch with him. Like I said in the story, he lives merely four blocks away from me, so my hope is truly to build a relationship with him, not just use him for a cool story to post on my blog. The story continues, and I fully expect more life-transformation to occur.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Know that you have challenged me to live more boldly! I welcome your response, as well as anyone else's thoughts on the matter.

Blessings,

Adam

Anonymous said...

Adam, praise God! Your story is spreading and blessing lives. Wanted to respond to part-time photobloggers. 1st of all, I appreciate your boldness and willingness to speak the truth. I agree that oftentimes followers of Christ quote St. Francis of Assisi: "Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words." Though the quote sounds good, it's incomplete, b/c when the gospel is presented, it involves words. I also recognize that you may have the gift of evangelism and that may impact your response.
I humbly present what God has been teaching me. I used to think I needed to present the gospel the 1st time I met someone, maybe should be going door to door to do so. I would feel guilty and pretty soon just do something radical to stop feeling guilty. On my journey, I have realized more and more that following Christ is a journey, that if Gabe keeps on coming, he'll learn the gospel, and as he follows Adam and the friend who brought him, he'll learn to follow Christ. I am still learning, definitely haven't arrived, but this is where I am currently at.
Thanks again, Adam, for walking by the Spirit and calling out young people.

Anonymous said...

One more thing: After posting I thought of Jesus' command: "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey all that I commanded you." I think Gabe moved closer to being a disciple, and that he learned/saw some of what Christ commanded the disciples to do.

Anonymous said...

As I reread this post and the additional comments, I am still thinking "Awesome".
From my experience there are several feelings that you could come away with after an encounter like this. One, you could feel discouraged that a person didn't come to Christ. This is often comes from us thinking we can save someone or Satan is taking an attack.
Second, you could come away thinking I know the Spirit was telling me to say something and I didn't have the guts to do it.
Thirdly, you come away amazed that you could feel and follow the Holy Spirit in such an intense way. And you have a peace in your spirit about the encounter.
Personally, I have experienced all three multiply times.
The most interesting thing to me is that I have several times felt the Spirit lead me in explaining the gospel to someone and that person still rejected it. So, I have to remember that it took me 10 years to understand the Truth.

All that to say "Well done" and continue to let the Spirit be your guide.