Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Consumerism Day

I think it's safe to say that there's not another day in the year that I hate more than Black Friday. Mostly, I just hate what it stands for. It's the exploitation of the impoverished world, in order to feed our own gluttony. It's the ugly monster that is American consumerism, rearing her razor-sharp teeth, ready to devour anything (or anyone) in her path. She's a beast...and she's ugly.

I'm trying my best not to be judgmental here. I mean, I love great deals as much as the next guy. But seriously, does anyone else find it appalling--and maybe even downright sacrilegious--that America's national day of consumerism falls the day after Thanksgiving? Could there be two more polar opposite days sitting side-by-side? I mean, I understand the cultural rationale as to why this day falls when it does. Once Thanksgiving is over, the entire country turns its attention to Christmas. But still, it's as if, collectively as a nation, we are saying, "We sure are thankful, but we're not satisfied!" Gross...

I wonder...how many more Black Fridays will America see before--like every other great empire throughout history--we literally consume ourselves to death?

I wonder...what would the world look like if Christians were as passionate about celebrating the birth of Jesus as we are about getting that new XBOX360 or Plasma HDTV that the world has convinced us we "need"?

Most of all, I wonder if days like today make God cry...

***Special note: If you're a Christian and you participated in Black Friday today, please don't feel like I'm judging you. I've done it once myself, and I have plenty of Christian friends who take part in the "festivities" of the day. At the same time, I'd encourage you to take a minute or two and think about the things I've said. A challenging perspective never hurts, and if you've grieved the Holy Spirit in any way by your actions, He will show you. I'm just trying to get us to think a little bit...

6 comments:

Britney said...

Well said, Adam.

Emily Edison said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

"We sure are thankful, but we're not satisfied!"

Great statement.The irony of Thanksgiving and Black Friday is thick. The sheer fact that Black Friday has essentially become a holiday is sickening.

One of the dangers I have noticed is the attention paid to the crazies who spend the night in parking lots or who simply wake a insane hours to shop. While they, of course, show the extent of madness, the consumeristic ethos of Black Friday is more impactful to those who go out and shop and search for deals. It is easy to not realize how much we are being formed to be consumers and unsatisfied with out lives when we juxtapose our life with those who seem to bed worse than we are.

Good stuff on your sight man. Kyle Lantz led me to your blog.

derryprenkert said...

Ouch. And thanks. Not a Black Friday Participant, but a Consumeristic glutton nontheless. Thanks for the perspective, bro!

Unknown said...

Derry lead me here and I would say that I could not have used better words myself. I was involved with the day of the devil (my own words for Black Friday) for the first time this year. I would say that it shows what is wrong with Americans as a whole. I will not do that again and I will not visit a certain store now because of what I seen on Friday.

Phil Strahm said...

Does it make it better if you buy things for other people?:)

Michelle and I bought one parenting book while we were in SB because it was half-off. No, she's not pregnant. We're just studying in advance.

Good thoughts though! This year we had Black Fridays/Saturdays throughout November to boost sales if you weren't aware...crazy stuff.