Thursday, June 17, 2010

Honey, I shrunk the world.

I recently received a newsletter from some missionary friends that shared some interesting statistics about the world population. The following is a synopsis of what our world would look like if shrunk down into a community of 100 people:
  • 57 would be Asian
  • 21 would be European
  • 14 would be from the Western Hemisphere
  • 8 would be African
--
  • 52 would be female; 48 would be male
  • 70 would be non-Christian; 30 would be Christian
  • 70 would be non-white; 30 would be white
--
  • 80 would live in substandard housing
  • 70 would be unable to read
  • 50 would suffer from malnutrition
  • 1 would have a college education
These statistics remind me of two things:
  1. My white, middle-class American worldview is so different from most of the rest of the world, and I have a lot to learn from other people.
  2. I am SO blessed (especially considering those last four statistics), and I believe God has blessed me so that I can be a blessing to others!

No comments: