Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Taming the Beast!

On our way home from STeM, we stopped in Extension 23 for some "Ekota"--basically the greasiest, most awesome sandwich in history. Across the street from the snack shop, I noticed this huge, crazy-looking dog tied up next to a house. Now, one thing I've come to realize is that most Africans from the township are terrified of dogs, especially big dogs. That's why most houses have dogs--they're like a living security system. So, I told a couple guys on our team that I wanted to go pet the dog. They looked at me like I had absolutely lost my mind. Again, I told them that I was seriously going to go pet the dog, to which I added like any five-year-old would, "What will you give me if I do?" My buddy from Zimbabwe, Tich, said, "I'll give you one of my kidneys if you pet that dog." Well, I'm still way too competitive to turn down a bet, especially for a free kidney!

Here are the results...

He sure looked fierce! He reminded me of "The Beast" from the classic movie The Sandlot.

But on this fateful day, "The Beast" was tamed!


When I got back to the car, Tick looked stunned. He assured me that if I was ever short a kidney, he was my man! To which I replied, "I've always wanted a third kidney! I'll take it now!"

A bet's a bet, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was afraid the pictures would show you all bitten up! God is definitely hearing my prays to watch over you!

Mom

Jeff and Amy McKissick said...

you competitive?....no....

Jan Lehman said...

LOVE this post, Adam, if I remember right, you were pretty good with Otis, too. Or was it Buck? No, NO ONE was good with Buck.
Your pictures are amazing!
~Jan