Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Re-Entry Into American Food: 3 Weeks in Review

It's hard to believe that I've been home for more than three weeks now! Shortly before coming home, I made a list of foods that I was looking forward to eating upon my re-entry into American culture. It's time to take another look at that list in order to evaluate how I've done so far!

*Foods in gold lettering have already been eaten, while I still need to eat the foods in red lettering...SOON!
  1. Giordano's Pizza in Chicago. This seriously needs to happen soon!
  2. A burrito from Chipotle. Again, what am I waiting for?!
  3. Fajitas from Mazatlan.
  4. Chips and salsa.
  5. Anything from Taco Bell. With all the other great options, this one has fallen back on my list significantly. I'll get there soon enough, though.
  6. A big juicy steak from Outback Steakhouse. Unfortunately, this one costs $$.
  7. My dad's spaghetti.
  8. Chinese food from Empire Express. Soon!
  9. Our family's "chicken in a pot" Sunday dinner.
  10. Bruno's Pizza.
  11. Miriam Wertz' homemade chili.
  12. The Grand Empire Chinese Buffet.
  13. My dad's grilled chicken.
  14. Wendy's dollar menu.
  15. A foot-long sub from Subway.
  16. My homemade Chinese food. I've started cooking again, but this one hasn't hit the menu yet!
  17. Dairy Queen ice cream. I totally underestimated what freezing temperatures would do to my desire for ice cream. I'll wait a few months...
  18. Fruity Pebbles.
  19. Jack's frozen pizza.
  20. Thai food.
  21. A big juicy hamburger.
  22. Frosted Mini-Wheats.
  23. Wings from BW3.
  24. Papa John's Pizza. I've been getting my pizza fix...just different kinds.
  25. My mom's hot deli sandwiches.
Ok, it's time to give myself a grade. In 3 weeks, I've eaten 13 of the 25 foods that I was craving. That's 52% of the food on this list, and an average of more than 4 of these new foods a week. Taking into account the fact that I have not gained any unwanted weight upon my re-entry, I'd give myself a B+ on my totally subjective and arbitrary rating scale. I simply have no excuse for not having eaten American-Chinese food or Chipotle yet, but I'm confident that I'll be checking more and more off this list in the weeks to come! Woo hoo!

No comments: