Monday, October 19, 2009

My Planned Re-Entry Into American Food

I've been in Africa for about 9 1/2 months now, and that's just a pretty darn long time to be away from home. I find myself thinking about home from time to time, and one of the things I'm planning immediately upon arriving in the States is a blitzkrieg on all of my favorite American foods. The following, in no particular order, are some of the foods that I will be dominating upon my re-entry into American society:
  1. Giordano's Pizza in Chicago. I have yet to have anything close to good American pizza in Africa.
  2. A burrito from Chipotle.
  3. Fajitas from Mazatlan.
  4. Chips and salsa. I seriously miss Mexican food on a regular basis here.
  5. Anything from Taco Bell. I even miss fake Mexican food!
  6. A big juicy steak from Outback Steakhouse.
  7. My dad's spaghetti.
  8. Chinese food from Empire Express (which my friends and I affectionately refer to as "5/10 mini" because when you ask the waitress how long it will take to get your food, without fail she answers "About 5/10 mini").
  9. Our family's "chicken in a pot" Sunday dinner.
  10. Bruno's Pizza.
  11. Miriam Wertz' homemade chili.
  12. The Grand Empire Chinese Buffet.
  13. My dad's grilled chicken.
  14. Wendy's dollar menu.
  15. A foot-long sub from Subway.
  16. My homemade Chinese food.
  17. Dairy Queen ice cream. I know it'll be cold when I get back, but I don't care!
  18. Fruity Pebbles.
  19. Jack's frozen pizza.
  20. Thai food.
  21. A big juicy hamburger. For some reason, they just taste different here.
  22. Frosted Mini-Wheats.
  23. Wings from BW3.
  24. Papa John's Pizza. Seriously, I need pizza!
  25. My mom's hot deli sandwiches. Luckily, these are a Christmas Eve tradition!
I'm sure this list will be expanding, but these were the first 25 things that popped into my head. With this game-plan in place, there's a good chance that I'll gain about 50 pounds my first week back home, but it'll be so worth it. My mouth is totally watering right now!

7 comments:

Marcia Cramer said...

I'm eager to have you home to cook for you! Now that we know what day you are coming, I am all the more excited about having you home again. Keep giving it your all to the end!

Love,

Mom

derryprenkert said...

I love that a decent amount of the foods on your list are Mexican and Oriental.

Adam Cramer said...

Let's be honest, Derry...Mexican food and Chinese food are totally AMERICAN foods!

Jeff and Amy McKissick said...

we have been gaining weight since our furlough - the states just has soooo many great foods!

Chad A. Loucks said...

I call dibs on Chipotle, Matzalans, and BW3's :-)

Looking forward to you coming State side. Mis you brother.

D said...

If you need someone of the brotherish variety to accompany you on your various re-entries (or re- entrees?), consider me you man (esp. if you're paying!)

Adam Cramer said...

Chadly - Let's do it!

D.C. - Trying to get a free meal off of your poor missionary brother? You should be ashamed of yourself! haha