Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dread Vote 2010

Dear Voters,

I do not want you to be uninformed as you enter the polls today. Within hours of the polls opening last week, my friend Eric called me up to gather some facts before casting his vote. I thought I might share with you some of these facts while the poll is still open. And, just in case your opinion is swayed by these new facts, keep in mind that you still have time to change your vote!

Okay, the following are the pros and cons of having a beard and dreads:

Pros

  • They look awesome! (Don't argue with this one...this is a fact!) haha
  • On the basketball courts in River Park, my new nickname is "Baby Jesus!"
  • Closely tied with the previous comment, when people see me they often think about Jesus! (Unfortunately, it's the way I look that reminds them of Jesus, not necessarily the way I act!)
  • I don't have to shave every day...or even ANY day!
  • I don't have to worry about getting hit on by girls anymore! Ha! Jokes...
  • On a more serious note, the way I look now--especially with the dreads--seems to immediately bring a deeper connection with certain types of people that would be harder to connect with otherwise. People like the youth in a local prison I've been working with and my black African brothers...
Cons
  • Sometimes when I'm eating I think there's a hair in my food...then I realize that I'm munching on a little bit of my beard!
  • Because of the dreads, people don't believe that I don't smoke pot!
  • My head is itchy sometimes.
  • I have to wear a shower cap when I shower.
  • My face gets pretty hot sometimes with all that hair, especially when I go running.
  • My hair requires WAY more upkeep than I'm used to.
These are some of the pros and cons to consider when placing your vote. Also, keep in mind that my dreads have not completely locked in yet, so there's something to be said about finishing what I've started! With that, I'll leave you to the polls!

Sincerely,
Commissioner, Dread Vote 2010

2 comments:

Melissa said...

dude... as you stated yourself... it seems to me that the pros far outweighed the cons. keep the hair man! it's awesome!

Emily Edison said...

I would compromise - it sounds like you could have pretty much the best of both worlds if you leave the hair and shave the beard. :)