Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Chapati and Chips Mayai

Ok, so the best thing about being able to travel is getting to meet new people and learn about new cultures. But, in a close second, the next best thing is getting to try all kinds of awesome new foods! (Yes, the quickest way to my heart is through the stomach!). I ran across a couple new dishes in Tanzania that quickly stole my heart!

Cooking dinner over a fire.

This is chapati, and it's probably one of the best things to ever happen to my life! (I'm only slightly exaggerating). I suppose the best way to describe it for the North Americans out there is that it's like Africa's version of a burrito. You cook meat in a spicy sauce and wrap it up in a homemade tortilla-like wrap. Delicious...

And then there's chips mayai (the plate on the left). In short, it's basically a french fry omelette. How have these not caught on in the States yet? I mean, we are the kings of the greasiest, most unhealthy foods, right? Well, it really is a shame that we don't have these in America because they are SO good!

No comments: