Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Taxis in Tanzania

If there's one thing I've learned from all my travels about taxis in the 3rd world, it's that safety is never as important as money. If the taxi driver has to drive like a maniac so that he can drive more routes in a day and make more money, then he will most certainly do that. And if a couple (or 20) more people can squeeze into the taxi, well then "come on in!"

After the weekend in Zanzibar, we took this taxi from Dar es Salaam back to Mlandizi, about a 2 hour drive. Our taxi, which could probably only seat 15 to 20 people, was packed like sardines with, I would guess, somewhere in the range of 40 to 50 people. It was crazy!

Unfortunately, Bhuti and I didn't get on in time to get a seat, so it was standing room only for about an hour and a half!

I was all smiles when, after about a dozen stops, I was finally able to sit down!

No comments: