Saturday, May 16, 2009

J-Life 2009 Highlights: Part 2

Miscellaneous Highlights

My first African roommates. Sabin (pronounced Sah-beh), on the bottom bunk, is from Congo Brazzaville. He's 41 years old, and he sacrificed 4 months with his wife and three children back home to come for the training. Praise (top left) is from Malawi, and although he looks like he could be 15, he's actually 30. He also left a wife and two kids back home. Praise and I met in a small group each morning, and we became close friends over the past few months. Samson (top right), is from Zambia. It was a blessing to live with these guys for the first 2 months of training. MaxAC (not pictured) was the white guy in the room. Even though I was the youngest of the four, they jokingly referred to me as "Father", I think because I was big and scary and I had a beard.

One of many beautiful sunrises over the farm.

One night we had cake to celebrate a birthday, and I got in a food fight with Vusi and Sheila. Good times!

Every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday afternoon was an experience known as "odd jobs." In order to ingrain an attitude of service in the trainees, we would be assigned tasks around the farm, such as planting a vegetable garden or painting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy Adam, the dirt there looks extremely hard to plant in! I sure am glad I don't have to use a pick axe to plant my strawberries! :)

MRE 10