Saturday, May 16, 2009

J-Life 2009 Highlights: Part 7

Horse Training

One of the benefits of living on a farm is getting to spend a lot of time with animals. Now Driefontein Farm is a cattle farm, which doesn't excite me too much. However, the owner of the farm, Mr. A, is also a horse lover--he has about a dozen horses on the farm. A couple months ago, on our day off, Mr. A asked a group of us if we wanted to take the horses out for a ride. Even though I don't have much horse-riding experience, I enjoy riding so I gladly accepted.

When we got ready to ride, Mr. A asked me if I would be willing to try riding one of his horses that wasn't broken in yet. I explained to him that I didn't have much experience but that I was willing to try anything. He then asked if I would try to ride the horse bareback. Like I fool, I again replied that I was up for anything. Thus, my relationship with Rusty, the most stubborn horse on the planet, was born.

After a frustrating first experience with Rusty, Mr. A asked me if I would be willing to train Rusty every day. I again explained to Mr. A that I didn't know what the heck I was doing, but he offered to teach me. And, thus, my horse training career began.

So I've been riding Rusty as much as possible since that day. He's still a pain in the you-know-what, and he's bucked me off him twice, but he's definitely making some progress. I can now get him to walk, stop, trot, and canter. The other day Mr. A told me that in order to be considered an official horse rider I had to be thrown off at least eight times...something to look forward to, I guess!

MaxAC whippin' Rusty into shape!

2 comments:

A. Clay said...

It's great to read your blog and all of your fun stories. The pictures are awesome.
We're praying for you!
Jeff, Allison, Abbie and Alexi

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a lot of fun Adam. I have been bucked off many times...it never felt good, but I did learn a few things each time I was bucked off. Emily told me that you had updated your blog page recently so I decided to check it out. We are praying for you and miss you dearly! It sounds like you are doing some amazing things! Keep it up!

Love you man,

MRE 10