Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Here I Go Again On My Own

For the past two weeks, I've been having a blast hanging with my good friend, Ted. I feel really blessed to have some great friends, and it meant a lot to me that Ted came out to encourage me and to see what my ministry here in Africa looks like. It's always nice to know that someone from back home really knows from experience about the place where I live and the people with whom I'm working. Ted and I had more than our fair share of adventures over the past couple weeks, including a couple very stressful days earlier this week, as we got lost in Johannesburg and actually missed his flight home Sunday night. But, last night we got him on another flight, and he should be home later today. Despite some of the chaos surrounding these past few days, it was very encouraging to have Teddy around. He's one of the craziest guys I know, but he's also got a deep love for God and for people. I could definitely see Ted pursuing long-term missions at some point in his life.

Ted and me in front of our "home" in the rural village of Chihota, Zimbabwe.

While heading to the airport (the first time, Sunday night), Ted pointed out that I was heading into my longest stretch of time in Africa without a visit from someone back home. I hadn't realized it myself, but it was true. Terry Linhart and family came down in March and stayed in South Africa for two months. Shortly after that, Adrienne came down to intern with J-Life for two months. And, just a few weeks after Adrienne left, Ted was here to join with me in ministry for a couple weeks. But now, I'm flying solo down the home stretch! I've got a little more than 3 months until I'm heading back to the States. Please pray that I would finish strong in these next few months and that I would be free from any homesickness or loneliness.

The classic 80's song "Here I Go Again" by White Snake sums it up well:

Here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone
And I've made up my mind
I ain't wastin' no more time
Here I go again

No comments: